For home improvement, care, and maintenance tips, follow this series. We’ve ‘been there, done that’.
SERIES: Your net worth strategy includes caring for your home. This pays dividends when you sell, not just now. The ‘Portfolio Approach’ has never made more sense than now.
ITS COLD OUT!
If you have neighbors in older homes they tend to have hot water heat – so exterior pipes! Remind them and anyone else that may have hot water heat that its best in extreme cold to turn heat UP, not down.
The furnace cycles on/off and when off, water stops moving. The temp at the outside wall will be some average of outside air and the setting on the thermostat. e.g.: Set on 65, outside is -5 then that temp could be under freezing! This is especially true near doors, on the windy side of the house, and where pipes pass thru walls/ floors.
- Open closet doors.
- Allow inside air access to pipes as much as possible.
- Move obstruction from near pipes.
- Know where the water shut off and/ or well shut off is (and a wet vac should things turn ugly).
- Lake Shannon ~ hear the frozen ice cracking!
* Anibal Group LLC does not offer legal advice. This article is not to be considered advice specific to your situation. Most financial decisions should involve advice from a trusted professional of your choice that will advise on insurance, legal, banking/ lending, structural/ property condition, and other transaction significant matters. We can offer referrals for CPA’s and other professionals.